Saturday, October 24, 2009

We're all still people right?

I've thought about something recently, maybe because I'm trudging through this history book and I am reminded that during the Civil War, we were anything BUT civil. Families and friends turned against each other almost overnight, killing each other over ideology (right?). Well, we're a very happening and sophisticated people now, looking at the wars in Africa as if we're above tribal wars and arguments over land, etc.

The difference is, we don't shoot each other, yet. And the war between the Democrats and the Republicans is definately brutal, as a conservative I'm thinking how Sarah Palin and family were trashed and George W. Bush got disrespected on policy (often rightly) but the way he spoke and other non-policy related things that were just rude and completely ignorant and unnecessary. I'm sure Democrats can think of their own champions and they way they see THEM portrayed unfairly (some would say Obama and I can agree on a FEW of the ways he's been portrayed).

Example, why comparing any American politician to Hilter is the cool thing for the not-in-power-party to do is BEYOND ME. If they've killed 18 million people, yes, get back to me. SHEESH.

So we hate each other really. Twitter conservatives and liberals bash each other back and forth, and I join in. And then I stop for a few days and don't miss it much. Then I log back in and get back into the swing of things. But in the end, it's fruitless, it's pointless. No one changes anyone's mind, we all get frustrated, and further dislike each other.

But if I passed a person trapped on the side of the road in a burning car/bleeding and I found out he/she was a liberal, would I NOT get help or help myself?! NEVER. Obviously. My co-workers, neighbors, people in my church, and my friends whom I love have been liberals and I love them dearly, enjoy their company, and would do a LOT for them (for most, I believe I'd give my life).

But it's easy to forget they are real people, with small children, the majority of whom probably DO want what's best for the U.S. even if we've all got very different ideas of what that is. It's easy to forget especially when we just hear their idiotic statements on TV or see the latest laws or scandals. It's too easy to forget. But we need to remember:

We're all still people right?


1 comment:

  1. Its funny, I had a simmilar conversation with my wife this afternoon. We took our daughter to the doctor for a flu shot (please no pro/con vaccination arguements). I just noticed how diverse the waiting room was; black, white, latino, asian, jewish. It was so crystal clear: we're all the same. We all are trying to do what we think is best for our families, be happy, deal with long lines, and trying to figure out what to eat for lunch.

    I've babbled all this just to say, I agree. We are all still people. And probably 95% of the time, our political affiliation doesn't really matter.

    -KJF16

    ReplyDelete